10 Questions You’ve Always Wanted to Ask Your Waxer
Why is it that many shudder at the thought of getting a wax? Well, let’s face it. It can be pretty intimidating and awkward when you’re put in a vulnerable spot – worse if it’s your first time!
‘There is absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to intimacy of the treatment.’ says Lis Verlinde, resident STRIP Waxpert and Training Manager at Strip and Browhaus. She would know – Lis has been a STRIP Waxpert for 8 years and has pruned close to 5,000 bushes!
Lis strips down the dos and don’ts of waxing, shares smart waxing tips, and the best advice for waxing virgins.
What are some of the dos and don’ts when it comes to waxing?
- Don’t shave or pluck your hairs prior to your wax appointment as hair strands that are too short might not be removed efficiently. Optimum length for waxing is around 4-6mm.
- Do consult your doctor before waxing if you are consuming or applying any of these medications – Roaccutane / Accutane / Retin A / AHA or Glycolic Acid / Vitamin B.
- If you are pregnant, do consult a gynaecologist beforehand and avoid waxing during the first trimester.
- Do wait till you have recovered if you are suffering from thrush or any yeast infection. This is to prevent any spread of bacteria.
- Don’t wax during your period. Not only it is unhygienic, the pain level will also be heightened. Do leave one week before and after your period before waxing.
- Avoid waxing for a couple of hours after consumption of alcohol, as contrary to popular beliefs; stimulants can cause the skin to be extra sensitive.
- Avoid sun bed or tanning 2-3 days prior to waxing as it makes the skin more sensitive and can cause dry, flaky skin, which will be unsuitable for waxing.
How should one prepare for a wax?
- Wipe yourself thoroughly with the STRIP wet wipes (provided in your STRIP Hygiene Pack) before each waxing treatment.
- You can always opt to take an aspirin or ibuprofen about 30-45 minutes before waxing to help reduce discomfort, especially if you are waxing sensitive areas such as the Brazilian or chest.
- Note that during a Brazilian, full removal of your underpants is required to ensure a fast, efficient and thorough treatment.
What advice would you give waxing virgins?
There is absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to intimacy of the treatment. In order to dispel any anxieties, each STRIP wax virgin is given a full consultation prior to the wax treatment.
To ensure your comfort during the treatment, it is important to relax while getting waxed. Take deep breaths, breathe evenly and exhale when the hair is being pulled out.
What’s the secret to extending a great wax?
Waxing regularly slows down the rate of hair growth and as waxing removes the hair by the root, the regrowth is finer compared shaving. There are also products that weaken and slow hair growth.
Regular exfoliation and application will keep nasty ingrown hairs at bay and leave your newly waxed skin feeling smooth.
But if you are looking for longer-term hair removal, opt for IPL, an advanced semi-permanent hair reduction method.
What’s the big deal about IPL?
IPL is an advanced semi-permanent hair reduction method that can keep about 80% of unwanted hair at bay for up to as long as 2 years! It uses a broad-spectrum light to destroy or weaken hair follicles.
Re-growth is usually slower after IPL treatments and is generally lighter and thinner in texture.
IPL saves you lots of time as you only require 6 sessions for hair reduction effect that last for up to 2 years.
What are some of the other services that you offer that customers may not be aware of?
We offer top-to-toe hair removal services. Along with our popular Brazillian Wax, we offer IPL treatments as well as IPL ACE, a hair reduction plus brightening and tightening of the skin.
What treatment do most men come here for?
Our top treatments for men are STRIP’s Chest, Stomach and Boyzilian Waxing.
We used to have men coming in for only waxing. They are now upgrading to IPL as it is a more comfortable, longer-lasting and efficient method for hair removal. IPL for males makes up about 25-30% for all male hair removal treatments.